Sunday, April 26, 2009

American Denim



We're just finishing our new run of denim. We're making 1955's and Hill Climbers. I remember when e started making denim. I figured that it would be easy. We've certainly been through a lot of ulcers and even more money over the years, but it's been worth it. The original idea was to update the fit of 1940's and 50's jeans. I know no one believes me, but we really did use two different bikes when we made the pattern for the 1955's. Will Hoover (who is now making crap for Vans) Put up with some serious shit from me when we made our first run. Seeing as I had no idea how to make jeans, Will had to deal with my freak outs  when little things would go wrong.
After Will had had enough, we had Slappy take the reigns. I first met Slappy when I worked for Deluxe in the early 90's. I'm fairly certain that he's responsible for the big pants craze to hit skateboarding around the same time. He has a high threshold for my pretending I'm a fashion designer outbursts. Although, he wouldn't call me back once for six months because there was a mess downtown and he knew he'd beat me up if I had a wig out on him. We fixed that situation later on with some couples therapy. Anyway, if anyone tells you it's easy to make jeans, poke them in the eye. This new batch that we made was primarily done for Japan, so the details are better than we've ever done. Our jeans are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment